Main page Consultation Contribution Forum Sign-in

Forum index >> Initiatives >>

TFLSA on March 5, 2016 at Wisma TM- Persiaran Damai

Page : 1ReplyNew topic

TFLSA on March 5, 2016 at Wisma TM- Persiaran Damai
The second Tree For Life Shah Alam of 2016 was conducted on last Saturday, March 5, 2016. TFLSA was held at Wisma TM - Persiaran Damai, and sponsored by TM Malaysia. The activity was attended Dato’ Hjh Zuraidah Mohd Said - Vice President of TM Selangor, Dato’ Hj.Ahmad Zaharin bin Mohd Saad - Mayor of Shah Alam, Mr. Shukri bin Mohamad Hamin - Deputy Mayor of Shah Alam, Staffs of MBSA, and about 200 volunteers. Persiaran Damai is a known park for the citizen of Shah Alam. The park is commonly used for doing sports and exercises or just for having some relax moment at the park. Indeed, it is a nice park. The organizer embraced well this ambience. This recreational idea was enhanced by Datin Rossiti by bringing some mats that create further leisure weekend atmosphere for the participants.

Jean Weber started the activity by explaining the characteristic of Malaysian forest and importance of local species to our city landscape. He has big concern on the conservation of threatened local tree species. For this reason, since this past two years he has brought some local trees to be planted on the planting area. Last Saturday, he brought three tree of threatened Dipterocarpaceae species, are: Shorea Sumatrana, Shorea marcoptera, and Vatica stapfiana. The next speaker was Datin Rossiti Aishah Rashidi who talked on the social responsibility in handling the plastic trash. The morning talk was ended by Bernard Eng who explained the house of rule in planting a tree.

There were 600 trees to be planted. With about 200 participants therefore each one needed to plant three trees. This announcement was taken seriously by a group of 4 students from University Malaya who planted fifty trees. I asked some young participants, how they like the tree planting. Some just answered it “like” with shy smile. But there was one particular young boy responded “I wish the tree will alive and grow big”. As usual, Mr. Sazali, a teacher from Sekolah Kebangsaan Subang Bestari came with five students. He and his studet is the regular participants for TFLSA. As I remember, since this two years I and Jean have involved with TFLSA, only one time Mr. Sazali and the students did not attend the activity.

It was such a coincidence on the similarity blouse color within TM staffs and students of Sunway University. This similarity created a nice scenery. Likewise, the long stretch of participants in orange blouse planting the trees shaped a strong bonding to the eyes of the viewer. Another interesting sight during the last TFLSA is the occurrence of a holiday ambience. The idea of having leisure in the park was well adopted by the participants. Many families gathered on mats whereas many others just simply relax on the grass or sit on the benches.

Mr. Bob was the emcee for the activity.

Jean Weber explaines the urgency to safe the local species as the habitat lost is continued steadily.

(left to right)Vatica stapfiana, Shorea marcoptera, Shorea sumatrana those were brought by Jean.

Datin Rossiti Aishah Rashidi encouraged the audience to start with little thing in life for reducing the usage of plastics. The little effort such as bring our own bag for shopping might contribute to a big impact to the environment.

Bernard and Jean show the root ball and explain its importance for tree survival after the planting.

Bernard demonstrates how to plant the tree.

Mr. Tahir (right) - Pengarah Jabatan Taman is discussing with Dato’ Hjh Zuraidah Mohd Said (center)- Vice President of TM Selangor.

A relax moment between Mayor Shah Alam (in green) and MBSA staffs.

Dato’ Hj.Ahmad Zaharin bin Mohd Saad - Mayor of Shah Alam thanks the participants for their coming and tells the audience the on the determination of MBSA to green Shah Alam.

Mr. Shukri bin Mohamad Hamin - Deputy Mayor of Shah Alam, Dato’ Hj.Ahmad Zaharin bin Mohd Saad - Mayor of Shah Alam, and Dato’ Hjh Zuraidah Mohd Said - Vice President of TM Selangor is exchanging the courtesy items.

Bucida molineti was one of two species to be planted.

Bucida molineti is called pagoda tree due to its gradual size of canopy layer. Photo was taken at UPM to visualize the tree performance.

The other species was Tecoma stants.

Flower of Tecoma stans.

The nice park.

TM staffs are at front raw.

Students of Sunway University are at back raw.

Like father, like son.

A sister who teach her younger brother to like the plant.

He said "I like a big tree. It's a beautiful".

Mr. Sazali, Jean Weber and students of SK. Subang Bestari.

Mr. Ismail and another staff of MBSA.

Mr. Tahir is discussing with Bernards and observed by She Mei.

A solid solidarity within the participants.

TM staff is watering Bucida molineti after the planting.

Jean Weber explains the association between fungus and a Dipterocarpaceae tree.

"A picnic"

Fifty trees were planted by four UM students who are standing at the back and sitting on the right bench.

I and Jean were among the last participants to leave the site. After few meter of drive, I saw a very beautiful bird. I followed it for about 20 minutes. It appeared to me that the bird does not the flying ace, has bright color, pretty small but a bit long, and has sound which I never hear. Finally, I was able to take the picture but at a high distance. According to the beak, it is undoubtedly a sun bird. This is the first time I saw this type of sun bird. Sorry for the high magnification.

Page : 1ReplyNew topic

Pericopsis.org 2014 |Contact Webmestre