Main page Consultation Contribution Forum Sign-in

Forum index >> Initiatives >>

TFLSA on January 23, 2016 at Taman Bukit Suk

Page : 1ReplyNew topic

TFLSA on January 23, 2016 at Taman Bukit Suk
There are seven activities of TFLSA for year 2016 and the first one was conducted on January 23, 2016 at Taman Bukit Suk, Section 5, Shah Alam. On this date, there were two species to be planted are: Bamboo sp and Bucida molineti. The TFLSA was attended by about 300 volunteers from Sunway University, Monash University, DHL, SK. Subang Bestari, and individuals. I would like to share a little bit about Sekolah Kebangsaan (SK) Subang Bestari. This is the third year I and Jean participated to TFLSA. Since then, I have met Mr. Sazali with his students. Bernard Eng informed me that Mr. Sazali and his students almost no fail to attend since the early time of TFLSA program. After few times met them, I questioned myself “why he come only with small number of students?” Quietly I got to know that he brought the students with his own car. It’s amazing! Their participation is solely on voluntarism basis.

Let me describe a little bit how the planting site looks like. There was a heavy rain few days prior the activity and one greatly heavy rain just the day before the TFLSA. In addition, soil area of the planting site is lower than its concrete border. Despite the planting area was wet, muddy, and most all of the planting holes filled by water, the participants expressed their bright spirit during the TFLSA which was in accordance with the New Year atmosphere.

The TFLSA is a model project of MBSA to bring together the government institutions, private entities, education institutions, nature lovers, and communities to green the Shah Alam city. The goal of the program is to introduce and to encourage the participants to respect nature. TFLSA gathering is attended by individuals of various background and numerous discussions within the participants are an common sight. On that day, the Sunway students took the activities one step ahead by initiating a small motivation talk while waiting for their bus.

Students of Sunway university came in advance therefore they could enjoy a relax breakfast.

The front rows are filled by Sunway University students.

The coming of Monash University students.

Mr. Sazali with his students.

A very respectable family.

Their parent educate them very well since the tender age. Spend time in in meaningful way and nurture the respect to the nature by minimizing the plastic rubbish, eat the healthy food, sharing with others, ....

This boy prepares himself in advandce.

This one even already put his glove before having his breakfast.

I asked him "how you like the day today? are you sure would like to plant the trees on this muddy area?" He responded me "Yes! I am strong"

Booth of MyCat. I wish for the next time the communities will see more and more NGOs participate for the TFLSA. Knowing the core issues surround the environment complexities is a part of citizen science for the communities.

Jean Weber started the program with a talk on local tree conservation. He suggested the audiences to be more observance on the origin of trees surround the city. The importance of knowing the tree origin is to nurture the conservation sense towards the local trees.

Local trees those to be planted. I and Jean have been promoting the local tree conservation in the city landscape. We brought (right to left) Shorea sp., Dipterocarpus baudii, Vatica stapfiana, and Dryobalanops oblongifolia.

The second talk usually will be performed by Datin Rossiti Rashidi. On this fortunate morning, the slot was filled by Matthias Gelbert who promoted his new book and encouraged the audiences to be more sensible in using the electricity.

Before the planting, Bernard Eng (in light blue T-shirt) will explain how to handle the tree for planting. He was helped by Mr. Johari and a young participant.

Equipment those are prepared by MBSA during the TFLSA activities.

A contractor worker is preparing the planting materials.

Most of the planting holes were filled by water due to heavy rain few days and the day before the program.

Often, the situation was not easy. For example here, a serious discussion was needed before planting one.

Above all, the participants were very patience and truly determine to plant the trees.

This is the look after a big work of emptying the water from the planting hole.

This was a rare scenery where the planting hole are dry.

The happiness in greening the city.

Dipterocarpus baudii

A close look of stipula which provide protection for the young leaf. The long size and bright color of stipula are used as identification key which differentiated the species to Dipterocarpus crinitus.

Dryobalanops longifolia the seed was collected from French Embassy at Jalan Ampang - Kuala Lumpur.

Vatica stapfiana

Discussion between Bernard and Mr. Tahir is the most common sight as both of them involve directly in organizing the TFLSA.

She Mei with one of DHL staff shared their thought on the environmental issues.

Whenever Matthias in Kuala Lumpur, he will participate to TFLSA. He has injury on his toe which caused him using slippers.

Jean is explaining the characteristic and the ecology of Dipterocarpaceae to a lecturer from Monash University.

We took chance to have a committee meeting of Ecoleadership for this September 2016 program. from left to right: Jean Weber, Yi Bin and two others Nature Clube commitee of Sunway University, Chit, Bernard, Me (Khadijah), She Mei, Dennis MCMahon, Linda, Lydia, and Matthias.

A motivation talk was initiated by Yi Bin the coordinator of nature club of Sunway University. The first talk was given by him who exposed how he got interested to nature. he invited Jean to share his view on forest ecology of Malaysia. Jean made some comparisons between the temperate forest and tropical rain forest of Malaysia.

A staff from MyCat gave a very inspirational talk on how good she feels as the guardian of the nature.

She Mei shared her experience on efforts she put to win her choice to study the ecology. The choice which later was granted respect from the family.

I voluntary made a speech. I described the benefit of having a hobby. I made some examples to how a hobby might provide a way out of stress pressure and a proper exit of problem solving as hobby help to create the personal strength which at the same time hobby make possible the development of skill, healthily thinking, and positive creativity. Finally, the motivational session was summarized and closed by Bernard Eng.

A photo session of Sunway University students before leaving the site

Page : 1ReplyNew topic

Pericopsis.org 2014 |Contact Webmestre