Main page Consultation Contribution Forum Sign-in

Forum index >> Other topics >>

UTAR Earth Hour 2016

Page : 1ReplyNew topic

On March 18, 2016, community service society of Universiti Tunku Abdul Rahman - Kampar celebrates the earth hour “UTAR Earth Hour 2016”. The student association invited me and Bernard to give some talk related to tree protection and conservation. Bernard motivated the participant to take action in take care the nature with a simple step where it should be started from home. On my part, I invited them to use pericopsis.org for building the tree information in Malaysia and to conserve the local endangered tree species. I illustrated “if each citizen of Malaysia mapped a single tree in front of their house, the Malaysians created an information data on community trees in Malaysia”.

Universiti Tunku Abdul Rahman is a not-for-profit private university in Malaysia and known by the acronym UTAR. UTAR is a young university. The official launching for the university was done on 13 August, 2002 by Tun Dr. Mahathir Bin Mohamad - the fourth Prime Minister of Malaysia at that time. In the first intake for the university in 2001 and had only 411 students. In the current stage, UTAR has more than 25.000 students. UTAR has two campuses: Sungai Long campus - the main campus and Kampar campus. The Kampar campus is amazingly beautiful, flourished with a lake, full of trees, and adorned with ecologically functional buildings.

I and Bernard were invited for a speech by Lim Boon Hua – the chairperson of UTAR Earth Hour 2016. We knew him through Ecoleadership program at Merapoh in 2015. During the program, He shared his experience and thought on the ecoleadership program. He also exposed his efforts in minimizing the electricity consumption by objecting the water heater when taking bath, off the light whenever not in use, and avoid having AC personally.

The university signboard. Sungai Salu reserved forest at the background.

Breath taking scenery at the entrance area of the university. The Chinese architectural building at the background is Dewan Tun Dr. Ling Liong Sik. Tun Dr. Ling Liong Sik was then the president of Malaysian Chinese Association who chaired a committee that drew up a framework for the establishment of UTAR.

Most of the buildings are accessed to the beautiful scenery.

The heritage building is adorned with bamboo gardens that mark the cultural appreciation. Photo was modified from internet.

Air ventilation "Bamboo tapestries" on heritage building expresses another cultural identity.

Greenery spot at UTAR

Greenery spot at UTAR

Greenery spot at UTAR

Many spots are plated with a group of Hopea odorata. I told to one of committee member that in five years to go the campus will be indescribably beautiful with these small pouches of Merawan Siput Jantan forests.

This is the only campus in Malaysia where the students largely use bicycle as their main transportation. As there is no obvious marks and signs related to the bicycle usages, I presumed, the use of bicycles within the UTARians are the student voluntary action.

Confucius and Einstein are playing Chinese and western chess respectively. On my personal perception, this monument identifies the philosophy of the university - "A blending views (two types of chess) of the cultural wisdom and thought (Confucius) and the progressive nature of modern technology (Einstein).Photo was modified from internet.

Lim Boon Hua (in green) and Bernard (in blue) in a short greeting before the talk.

One group of participants

Another group of participants

Some committee members are busy preparing the pledge card.

Kesin was the emcee for the earth hour talk.

Printed images of energy saving issues as the efforts to promote the earth hour awareness.

Bernards Eng is detailing his previous involvements.

Title for my speech

Lim Boon Hua tells how nice he feels on the efforts on saving the electricity.

A concentrate participant on attending the speech.

The students were in high esteem.

They were actively participate in the discussions.

The participants, the committee members, and the speakers.

A discussion within committee members after the program.
UTAR Earth Hour 2016
It's been long time since my last visit to Kampar.

Back to 2002, we still able to see group of buffaloes roaming around the town.
None the less, also the 'mine' they planted.

And shooting stars is discover-able on late night (low light pollution back in that time)

Hopefully the awareness is spreading over.

Page : 1ReplyNew topic

Pericopsis.org 2014 |Contact Webmestre